The Foundation’s Sandscribe Institute is currently running courses in Addis which were created by our American faculty and administered by our in-country staff. We are planning the next teaching trip using guest US faculty and filmmakers who donate their time and energy to Sandscribe.
Below are our short- and long-term objectives to develop Sandscribe’s services.
- Expand teaching personnel and curricula to create a full and diverse program
- Purchase filmmaking equipment for classroom/student use
- Build and equip permanent facilities for media production
- Develop endowments for need-based scholarships
- Facilitate student/faculty exchanges with film programs abroad
- Develop exhibition networks through community festivals and theaters
- Develop festivals, workshops, and joint-venture productions in which international filmmakers teach, collaborate, and network with students
- Offer community-outreach programs to stimulate civic dialogue and economic development
- Develop related enterprises for long-term sustainability (ie: a globally competitive sound stage for rent, film crew and acting talent rosters, and a network of community cinemas, et al)
- Establish an accredited film school recognized by the Ethiopian educational system