Through international symposiums and ongoing workshops, the Sandscribe Foundation trains aspiring filmmakers to produce films with artistic excellence and social responsibility, while fostering the positive values and teamwork that are vital to all artistic endeavor. It is our dream to see Ethiopia thrive with a vibrant film industry.
Sandscribe’s team of U.S. and Ethiopian experts have expanded the foundation’s educational efforts and helped raise the profile of Ethiopian film through the following:
- Ongoing: 5-month intensive courses at our Addis base, teaching all aspects of filmmaking and creating student-produced shorts.
- January 2016: Launched mentor program with working professionals in the US, spearheaded by HouseBlend Media, Los Angeles.
- Fall 2015: “From Script to Screen” two-month training and production intensive, with Fulbright specialist Lucy Gebre-Egziabher.
- Fall 2013: Documentary film symposium with filmmakers and educators Wagner College, NY
- 2012: Collaborative online courses between students in Ethiopia and at Wagner College, NY
- 2012: Filmmaking workshop (60 artists) with instructors from L.A. and D.C.
- 2011: Screenwriter workshop (50 writers) in Addis Ababa (2011)
We maintain offices in Addis Ababa and hold classes at Rift Valley University. We partner with local filmmakers and educators. To read about our goals and what we have in store, check out our Mission and Vision.